Spar Lancashire School Games
Learn! Week 10 – Physical Tetris
Equipment: household objects to use as a marker, i.e. pens, coasters, sweets, fruit, chocolate bars, tins, spoons, toys etc.
Aim: To develop problem solving thinking skills.
- Choose 4 different household items so that you have 4 of each item and set them up in 4 rows of each item with the bottom line facing the player. (see above)
- If you are playing on your own then mix up the items or ask your parent/carer to mix up the items. Record your time to complete the game.
- If you are playing against another player mix up each others items. Winner is the first to clear all their items.
Task 2 – To play the game
- The aim of the game is to collect all 16 items. However, you can only collect 4 of the same item when they are at the bottom line only.
- To move the items to the bottom line you run to the items from the start line and then you can only move two items. The items can be moved vertically or horizontally only and one line at a time. Moving items diagonally is NOT allowed.
- Once you have moved the items run back to the start line and return to move another two.
- Once you have a bottom line of the same item. Take the items back to the start and return to continue moving the items until you have another line of the same object to take back.
Before you start the game look at the mixed up objects and plan your first few moves to get the first line complete.
(Q) Which item will take the least amount of goes to get the first 4 to the bottom line?
(Q) Which objects will you move first? Why?
PLAY – Physical Tetris REVIEW
(Q) What was your strategy for moving the objects?
(Q) What could you do next time to improve your time to complete the game or beat your opponent?
▪ Shorter distance to the tetris objects.
▪ Work with a partner, take turns in running to the objects
▪ Move the start line further away from the tetris objects.
▪ Play against a partner. Have two tetris set ups and mix up your opponents objects before playing.
TASK 3 – Challenge – To use different movement patterns when playing the game. Play as the first game but each time you get back to the start roll a dice.
Travel back to the objects based on the number rolled:
- side gallop
(Q) Can you make your own movement patterns for the dice numbers?