Spar Lancashire School Games
Skill 2: Orienteering
Equipment: Paper, pencil, ruler, colours
Aim: To make an orienteering map to use at home and to design a course.
Task 1 – Draw the Outline of your map – Draw an outline of the area of the house you want to use. (This can be the whole of one floor, or you can include the outside)
Task 2 – Create a Key for your map
- Choose a colour or pattern to fill in each item you have drawn on your map.
- Add a key to show what all the colours and patterns represent.
Task 3 – Set up the Control points (these are the points the map reader must find)
- Use a circle to show where the map-reader must look and number the control points.
- If you want to show where they start from then draw a triangle on the map.
- Hide something at each control point. This could be a code, word or number.
- Pick someone in your house to try out their map reading skills to see if they can find all the control points.