Last year, the SPAR Lancashire School Games reached over 100,000 Lancashire school children! Our fabulous team of hard working Lancashire School Games Organisers visited over 4,000 schools across the county, working with teachers to implement effective sport strategies, boost confidence and introduce children to sports that they had never tried before.
Over 25 different sports were included in last year’s programme including badminton; football; hockey; netball; swimming; angling; orienteering; handball; dance; tennis and table tennis; athletics and volleyball.
This year promises to be just as fantastic with a few exciting changes to the programme…
- Blackpool’s Winter Gardens will play host to the L3 Dance competition for the very first time this year, an incredibly exciting experience for any budding young dancers!
- Bowls will be introduced into the 2020 programme, proving an addition opportunity for children from special schools to get involved in the games. This event will be held alongside the disability swimming gala which is held at Salt Ayre Swimming Centre in March.
- Hockey is going to have its very own county final this year, rather than being held at Stanley Park due to maintenance on the ground’s astro turf. This will be delivered by Preston Hockey Club in June (date and time tbc).
- Badminton is also going to become a standalone event this year, held at Rossall School in January.
- Due to the increased popularity of Handball, this year’s programme will also include an U13s event.
As well as engaging school children, the SPAR Lancashire School Games also work to engage young people and train them as young leaders. 2020’s programme will offer a number of opportunities to students at Myerscough College, offering training courses and the chance to volunteer at Preston/Wyre and Fylde events and at the county finals in June.
There will also be a new vision and mission statement for 2020, encouraging new audiences and ensuring fair competition at events. This year’s programme will focus on achieving more outcomes, opposed to just winning – visit https://lancashireschoolgames.co.uk/
2020 SPAR Lancashire School Games promises to be even bigger and better than last year and in the year of the 2020 Tokyo Olympics – there couldn’t be a better year to get inspired and enjoy sport!