Spar Lancashire School Games 2021
Year 1-2 Activities & resources
The recommended amount of physical activity for children aged 5-18 is 60 minutes a day. It should be hard enough for us to get a little bit out of breath and a little bit sweaty! This can still be achieved during the new restrictions.
Activity should be fun. Play allows children to use their creativity while developing their imagination. Play is important for healthy brain development and can be used to help children achieve their daily 60 active minutes and we are never to old to have some fun!
With a new national lockdown and restrictions being enforced from the 5th January 2021, it is more important than ever for young people to be active to maintain a their physical and mental wellbeing. and we hope these resources provide help.
Current sport and physical guidance during lockdown (January 2021):
- People can only leave their home to exercise, and not for the purpose of recreation or leisure, and can do so with one person from outside their household.
- This should be limited to once per day, and individuals should not travel outside their local area.
- When around other people, individuals should stay two metres apart from anyone not in their household – meaning the people they live with – or their support bubble.
Children and young people should aim to minimise the amount of time spent sitting and move & play more, when and where possible long periods of not moving should be broken up with physical activity. Dr William Bird, explain in this short video why movement is key
Active Children are happier and healthier, an active child also learns better and sleeps better!
We understand that keeping your child active during the Covid-19 outbreak is challenging which is why we have put together a list of resources to help keep your child ‘Moving & Play:
Online Resources available:
- Cosmic Kids – Yoga Through story telling
- BBC Supermovers- Videos which help children move whilst they learn
Other Suggested Games and Activities
- Put on a favourite song and dance along
- Go for a family walk, run or cycle (try to choose a time when it is quiet, in daylight and remember to observe social distancing rules and only once a day outdoors for exercise)
- Create a basic circuit of your favourite exercises
- Make up obstacle courses
- Take part in the SPAR Lancashire School Games Term 2 Heroes Challenges
- Sign up for the YST Wonder Woman 1984 resources
Online Resources and information available for guardians to be active during lockdown: